FAR SOUTH EXPEDITIONS GEAR
Photographic gear for Patagonia, Is essential when you make photosafari specially in such a place as Patagonia to be helped by the right gear. Patagonia keeps inhospitable climate conditions which lead the way we will prepared ourselves for the full of half day activity.
Here we will suggest you a few tips to have on mind.
This wild piece of earth shows different kinds of light which often are changing quickly because of the wind. We would like to recommend you to have a nice body camera and of course and manly good quality lenses.
In Patagonia you can have literally the four seasions in a few minutes. Also this brings often clouds that decorates beautifully the scenary and at the same time situations in poor ad dramatic light.
For it we suggest you the next camera bodies to have on mind.
- Nikon D600/ Canon 6D
- Nikon D800/ Canon 5D Mark II
- Nikon 810a/ Canon 5D Mark III
- Nikon 7200 / Canon 7D Mark II
Patagonia is remarkable for it sunrises and sunsets and the drama you can find within it. For it is essential to have nice sharp lenses to catch the beauty of the momento.
- Canon 100-400mm 5.6G Zoom
- Canon 17-40mm 4.0G Wide angle
- Canon 100mm 2.8G Macro
- Canon 24-105mm 2.8G Wide and zoom
- Nikon 50mm 1.2G Macro
- Nikon 200-500mm 5.6G Zoom
- Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G Zoom
- Nikon 24-70mm 2.8G Wide angle
- Nikon 28-300mm 3.5G Wide and zoom
Tripods and Monodopods. Why?
Simple. Is stabilization and confort. Specially for sunrises and sunsets when light take long times to rise or set. Tripods are made for this.
Monopods why so? Well we will be doing some small walks or hikes to get to our beautiful light spots, whats better to stabilize your frame with a light weight monopod to achieve an artistic composition shot.
In this case, you can find different options in different brands with exellent quality. The essential thing here to focus in on the retractable single leg of it to be soft and steady. This will give you perfect balance in the middle of any trail at any momento. As you know such a pristine and wild place as Patagonia you never know what is comning next, an amazing lenticular red cloud on the sunset or a Puma crossing on front of you. Also helps a lot when you are carryng the long zoom lenses.
Some others essential complement accesories to take on consideration.
Patagonia is generous in her variety of beauty, light and landscaping. For he same we would like to suggest memory cards and other important details.
- Lexar SD HC 300MB/s 32g /64g / 128g
- Sandisk SD HC 260MG/s 32g / 64g / 128g
- Kingston SD HC 300MB/s 32g / 64g / 128g
- Extension tubes ( For macro shots)
- Teleconverter ( For more zoom)
- Neutral density filter ( For wáter movement shots, long exposures)
- Extra batteries ( at least two or three more)
- Raing camera bag ( waterproof)
- Remote trigger
Another essential detail is a nice and confortable camera bag. For carrying the lenses during the walks and to protect them from the changeable climate conditions.
There are a few nice options to suggest. All of them are waterproof.
- Lowepro Pro trekker 450 AW
- Lowepro Pro trekker 400 AW
- Lowepro Photo classic BP 300 AW
Clothing and outdoors hiking gear
Patagonia means changeable climate conditions. For a confortable staying is essential to bring the necessary outdoor clothing so you dont worry about the climate just about the frame and the ligth.
- Breatheable waterproof jacket
- Waterproof hat
- Hiking goretex shoes
- Short and long sleeve shirts
- Warm and breathable socks
- Feather jacket ( Nano puff Patagonia)
- Light waterproof gloves ( easy camera managing)
- Shorts or convertible pants
- Water bottle
- Sunscreen ( at least 50 fps)
- Ziploc bags
- Books for long rides
- Personal toiletries
We recomment to try to pack as light as possibe for a confortable trip. Photo gear is already quite heavy and delicate.
We invite you not to a Photosafari, more essentially to have an intense visual experience in Patagonia.